Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Sydney





Sydney is beautiful. I find myself getting up each morning to run around the Sydney Opera House and the Botanical Gardens which are right next each other. On my walk back to the hostel I pass through the beautiful Hyde park. I have found the last two days that Hyde Park is a popular place for couples to picnic or just cuddle. It was cute at first but got old rather quickly. So instead of focusing on the couples I have been sticking my nose in books. I read a whole book in one day which for me is rather odd.
There are also plenty of long course 50 meter pools here which automatically makes my heart smile but just as quickly turns to a frown to find all the outdoor pools seem to be closed down for "the winter" (its in the 60s and 70s during the day... what!). My search hasn't ended yet though as a new friend told me of a nice one that could possibly still be open. If not I will settle for the indoor Olympic sized pool that a short walk from my hostel.
I feel at home in water. It's therapy when I am struggling with something in life. I can just dive in and do what became robotic growing up... swim. And when I start to think too much... I just keep swimming. And then somehow my thoughts seem to do 1 of 2 things: fade away or become more clear. Running has the same effect on my thought life but it is not home... that can only be said of swimming for me.
I sometimes wonder what my life would look like right now if I had been born in Australia. Swimming is such a prized sport here that I could still be racing. About the only swimmer Americans could name would be Phelps and maybe the "Thorpedo"... but here everyone knows the good swimmers. But it doesn't do any good to think that way... its not reality.

2 comments:

  1. Did your mom tell you that I saw her in the airport with your dad before you left!! ha. I thought that was a pleasant surprise. You went to austrailia beacuse it was too cold in NZ right? are you still going to go through with the kiwi bus?

    Its sounds like you're doing alot of exercising in nature what a gift :)

    keeping up with you
    kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww thanks kim! yes i came over here for a month and then when my mom heads back i will do the rest of the south and all of the south island on the kiwi experience!

    Tell justin i said hi if you see him at work... we aren't really talking anymore.

    thanks for everything kim,

    love

    ReplyDelete