Tuesday, June 16, 2009

One Tree Hill


So this picture is of One Tree Hill which is on the top of Cornwell Park. (Just for you Mrs. Helvey:) It overlooks all of Auckland. It was on the complete other side of the city so I was kinda nervous figuring out the bus system but everyone has been so nice that I just ask anyone and figure it out. I took about an half an hour bus ride over and then did a fun muddy (until I realized that there was the paved road option) hike to the top. The park was huge and I saw a bunch of super fit runners and moms playing with their kids.
Auckland is a pretty interesting city. Travis was explaining to me that there is a tension btw the cities and rural area because the cities are a melting pot of all different ethnicities (I have met a number of people from Malaysia). But most the the rural areas have the Maori or the Pakeha (British Caucasian). Auckland is also the largest city in New Zealand with 1 million people which is 1/3rd of the entire population of New Zealand at you guessed it, 3 million.

On the left is the Scott's home which is VERY close to downtown Auckland. So since I just got home from my 3 hour adventure to the park I am going to peace out for now.

1 comment:

  1. What a cute house! I thought they'd planted another tree on top of One Tree Hill but there's a monument instead. Did you find out why this hill deserves a monument?
    Mom

    ReplyDelete